Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Waking up to a violin on the radio....

Yesterday, I awoke to NPR classical - a violin persistently begging me to wake up and start the day. But, for a brief moment, I thought back to a day in November, 2015, when I experienced the notes played by Madeleine Mitchell. Did you know this international violinist performed in little Brandon, Vermont? Thanks to her benefit performance at Compass Music and Arts Center, the site now owns more tables and chairs - making its events for the public more comfortable and participatory.

Just last week, more than thirty school children from Leicester Elementary School visited Judith Reilly's art exhibit in the main Compass gallery and then sat down at those very tables - to write and draw their responses to Judith's amazing work. The next day I interacted in the classroom with one of those students, who pulled me aside to say, "I can still see that quilt about the moon in my mind. It's my favorite, so I'm writing about that one." This quote reflects one of the goals of  the Center's non-profit organization, Compass Music and Arts Foundation: to provide memorable arts experiences for our community and its children.

Whether you are an adult waking up in the morning, or a child making their way through a school day, experiences at Compass Center stay with you, center you, demand the attention of your creative self.

And, what about today? I am thinking about my current favorite painting - that rooster, squawking at me in Robin Callahan's gallery space. He's demanding something of me - "Come visit Compass! Have some lunch in the Cafe! Listen to the music playing! Take a notebook and write, or draw, or... just fly on down and have a 'cock-a-doodle doo' of a time!  And, don't forget to come see me!" So...I'm picking up the phone and inviting a friend to lunch....

Laura King

No comments:

Post a Comment